Architecture, Urban Planning and Architectural Technology
Enthusiastic, self motivated individual with ambition and good experience in Architecture and Urban Planning
Wealth of knowledge on various projects including residential, education, commercial, leisure and mixed use
Director, Chartered Architectural Technologist, MCIAT, FHEA
Senior Architectural Designer and Chartered Architectural Technologist with more than 20 years’ experience in the construction industry and the education sector in both the United Kingdom and the Middle East. Along with extensive computer experience including graphic software; Adobe Photoshop, Autodesk Revit, AutoCAD, Micro Station and Sketch-up, Gihan’s main responsibility is to work directly with clients on their projects. From early design stages that include a feasibility study, design development, planning, tendering and detailed drawings making sure the main aspects of the project are covered.
Gihan is a Fellow in Higher Education Academy and Part-Time Lecturer at the School of the Built Environment, Engineering and Computing, Leeds Beckett University . Her research focuses on the resilience of the built environment and disaster risk management/ reduction.
In addition, Gihan is a Professional Assessor for the Chartered Institute of Architectural Technologist (CIAT) and a Judge for CIAT Annual Awards. She is also actively involved with her professional institute CIAT at local and national levels. In 2017, Gihan was a Finalist as Best Architectural Technologist in the European Women in Construction and Engineering.
- Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) in Planning, Housing & Human Geography, from the School of the Built Environment, Engineering and Computing, Leeds Beckett University, United Kingdom in 2020.
- CIAT Students Architectural Technology Awards Judge since 2018.
- FHEA, Fellowship in Higher Education Academy, 2018.
- CIAT Architectural Awards Judge since 2016
- Professional Assessor for the Chartered Institute of Architectural Technologists, since September 2015.
- MCIAT Chartership from the Chartered Institute of Architectural Technologists, CIAT, March 2015.
- BSc(Hons) in Architectural Technology from Leeds Beckett University, Leeds, United Kingdom in 2014.
- BSc(Hons) in Architecture and Urban Planning from Benghazi University, Benghazi, Libya in 1997.
- MCIAT, member of the Chartered Institute of Architectural Technologists.
- Architect, member of the Libyan Institute of Architects.
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (FHEA).
- Graduate Teaching Assistant at School of the Built Environment, Engineering and Computing, Leeds Beckett University 2015-2019.
- Senior Architectural Designer at DLG Architects from 2004 – 2015.
- Architect at Omart Benghazi for Building and Construction Company , Benghazi Libya, from 1998 – 2004
- 2017 Finalist; Best Architectural Technologist on the European Women in Construction and Engineering 2017.
- Highly Commended for Citu Award for Most Pragmatic Approach to Sustainability for a research paper titled: ‘Enhancing UK flood mitigation measures through local communities’ flood knowledge’ presented at the International SEEDS Conference Sustainable Ecological Engineering Design for Society, LBU, September 2017.
- Highly Commended for the Students Award for Excellence in Architectural Technology, CIAT Awards in 2014. The Project was a Primary School design at Leeds Beckett University.